The Greens/EFA Group in the European Parliament is looking for a
Campaigner for the Tax Justice Priority
The post is a fixed- term contract for 2 years as a contractual agent of the EP (FG III). A prolongation of the contract is possible.
The group has decided to establish five policy priorities, one of which is the „Tax Justice“ priority. This priority targets corporate tax avoidance practices, tax avoidance and evasion by rich individuals as well as tax dumping by member states. With this priority the group aims at increasing pressure inside and outside the institution to abolish such practices.
The initial phase will have a special focus on the work in the recently established inquiry committee on the Panama Papers, money laundering, and tax evasion.
Tasks to be performed
- Follow up of policies and activities related to taxation, in particular corporate tax avoidance and evasion practices, as well as Member States‘ role in these practices. Coordinate the priority in the Greens/EFA group (organisation of coordination meetings, implementing the annual campaign budget, basic follow-up of the relevant EP committees).
- Take initiatives, develop, propose and implement campaign strategies in cooperation with Greens/EFA MEPs, the Secretaries General, the team coordinator of communication and strategy and related advisers; ensure close cooperation with the ECON advisers
- Keep a watch on related legislative initiatives at EU level, and, where possible, at member-state level (in particular in liaison with national parliaments). Suggest initiatives to anchor proposals promoting tax justice within the EU political agenda.
- Ensure networking with the opinion-leaders, academics, NGOs, civil society and grass-roots movements that share our objectives; Improve outreach and visibility and better connect our parliamentary policy-making with the outside world of politics and with national parliaments;
- External communication – online communications (support the communication team for web-based activities, social networks); monitoring news updates (web articles, newsletter) and writing short communication papers on the basis of policy papers; assist with the writing of press releases;
- Internal communication – assisting in the preparation of internal briefings and keeping the Bureau and Green MEPs up to speed with our work on tax;
- Ensure liaison within the extended Green family, which includes the European Green Party, the Green European Foundation, the Federation of Young European Greens, national Green parties and foundations in order to foster smooth mutual information flows as well as coherence and consistency of content and communication;
- Seek out, build and maintain a network of experts and opinion-leaders who can be called upon by the Greens on issues relevant to fair taxation;
- Event management – coordination of the preparation of public meetings, and assisting in working out, planning and organizing events (conferences and workshops) aimed at supporting the priorities of the campaign;
- Communication/media actions – assisting the team coordinator of communication and strategy in devising and implementing actions (media actions or online communications tools).
- Relevant professional and/or education background in the field of economics / economic policy / tax policy or tax law;
- Very good knowledge of the functioning of the EU and familiarity with the role of the European Parliament;
- Experience in liaising with NGOs, national parliaments, civil society in the field of economic policy issues, in particular corporate taxation and competition;
- Ability to liaise with policy experts to simplify complex messages into easily communicated ones;
- Experience in coordinating events: conferences, workshops, ad hoc actions;
- Ability to manage the work efficiently in this context and be a good team player;
- A very good command of English and knowledge of at least one other EU language;
- Ability to link EU policies with campaign objectives and opportunities;
- Experience in communication work: newsletter, blogs, press releases, website content, social media;
- Experience in campaigning on similar issues is an asset;
- Very good communication, organisational and social skills.
In case of equal appreciation on competence and suitability for the position, preference will be given to female applicants.
In case of interest in this position, send a motivation letter with your CV and supporting documents by e-mail only to the Deputy Secretary General of the Group ue.ap1511270923orue.1511270923pe@re1511270923wuorB1511270923.luaP1511270923-naJ1511270923 (with copy to Greens/EFA HR department ue.ap1511270923orue.1511270923pe@RH1511270923.snee1511270923rG1511270923 before 9th May 2017 end of business (7PM GMT+1).
Please do not address applications to our office Sven Giegold as this process is entirely handled by Jan-Paul Brouwer and other Greens/EFA group staff.